Either the sender or the recipient may file a claim for insured mail that is lost, arrived damaged, or was missing contents. The person filing must have the original mailing receipt. Each claim must be filed within a certain time period and include proof of insurance, value, and damage.
Each carrier automatically insures packages up to a certain amount, even if you did not purchase additional carrier insurance. This amount varies by carrier and by shipping method; for example FedEx Home Delivery is automatically insured up to $100, but FedEx Smart Post has $0 automatic insurance.
Note: You can learn more about insurance options including our Shipsurance integration.
Without Shipsurance, you will have to submit your claim to the carrier directly. At this point, Cahoot cannot help; this process is only done directly on the carrier's website. This article outlines the detailed steps for FedEx claims.
Note: You may have to refund your customer, or send them another shipment directly; in order to create another order manually in Cahoot, you can use our Order Import module.
Step-by-Step Guide for FedEx claims
You must file your claim for damaged or missing contents no later than 60 calendar days from the shipment date for U.S. packages and 21 calendar days from the shipment date for international packages. Claims for undelivered or lost shipments must be filed within nine months of the shipment date.
1. Open the Cahoot Order Details page for the order in question, then locate:
A. Tracking number
B. Shipping date
C. Full address of mailing location
D. Proof of Value (sales channel’s packing slip PDF with item prices is easiest option)
Note: Ensure all documents are retained until AFTER claim is completed and resolved.
Filing A Claim
1. Click the link to begin filing a claim.
You do not need to have a FedEx account to submit a claim.
2. Enter Tracking Number > Select Claim Type (example: Shipment Not Received) > Click Continue.
3. Enter the Shipper (your) name > Enter the Shipping Origin Address.
4. Enter the Recipient (customer) name and Shipping Destination Address.
5. Enter Product Details
A. Item Description (enter product name from Cahoot order)
B. Unit Cost (individual cost from Order Details)
C. Quantity (Qty of SKU from Order Details)
D. Shipping Cost (label cost from Order Details)
E. Customer Reference Number (use the Cahoot Order ID)
F. Select the Item Type that best matches the shipment (pick from list)
G. Additional Comments
Repeat this for each SKU on the order
6. Upload Proof of Value
Acceptable forms of proof include:
A. Sales Receipt from sales channel, showing item price (example: Amazon Seller Central Packing Slip)
B. Proof of Payment from Payment Gateway or Credit Card Statement.
7. Select Shipper from the dropdown > Enter Your Information, including your primary shipping address and contact information.
8. Claim Confirmation
You will receive a confirmation email, and additional emails when the claims process is updated.
Tips for Sellers to communicate with your Customers
Here are some tips to work with your customers to ensure the order was not misplaced and is actually lost.
We want to ensure you receive the item that you've purchased. Here are some recommendations we have that could help resolve the issue:
- Check with your neighbor: The carrier may have left the parcel with a neighbor on your street (next door neighbors 1 to 2 doors down or across the street)
- Check safe locations: The carrier may have left the item in a safe location around your property (inside the porch, inside the garage, inside the shed or greenhouse)
- Try contacting the carrier to explain that while tracking shows as delivered, you haven’t received the parcel.
Please continue to communicate and provide updates. e.g.
- If you contact the carrier and they provide you with proof (email or letter) that the item wasn’t delivered, please upload that proof to the case to inform us.
- If you are able to locate your parcel, please close the case.